Thursday 30 June 2011

The Giving Tree


CAKE! I like having a pile of cake, and pretty much no idea what I am going to do with it. Recently an old friend celebrated her birthday. Although we were never the closest amigos, I always thought she was super cool. Like she is just really cool, I looked up to her in alot of ways. And when She invited me to her birthday, I knew I wanted to make her a cake. This particular lady has a thing for books, which is one of the many reasons I think she is rad! I was bit tight on time, and I never made a book cake before, so i really faked my way through it, lol. I think most of my fave cakes are like that. 
I didn't really know what she liked flavor wise so I went with chocolate on chocolate with extra chocolate. (she confirmed later that it was a good choice.when is chocolate not a good choice, heehee). I just made different size "books" our of layers of the cake and butter cream, and then let them chill. I wrapped some fondant around 3 edges to be the pages of the books, and then wrapped the rest of the cake in fondant like a book cover. I planned to make them all different classic books.  but after i stacked them up on a dowel, I was struck with inspiration.


 I was instantly inspired by white books, Shel Silverstein. I grew up reading his poems. To this day he makes me smile. I love his books, and if I remembered correctly so did she. Part of planning the perfect cake for someone is finding that perfect thing for them, that makes them feel special. Hopefully making the cake into a pile of Silverstein books made her feel special. When I looked at the dowel sticking through the top, I decided to leave it, and build "the Giving Tree" around it. It all worked out very serendipitously. Even though (as always) I wish I had more time to add details, I was happy with it when it was all done. I painted on some writing, and finished the giving tree with some melted chocolate. the best part of making this cake was Meg's reaction. Seldom do i get such an excited reaction, I felt truly appreciated by someone i respect. that's a good feeling.

I have spent some time today thinking about Meg, and other awesome women in my life, whether peripherally or completely. I have also thought about the books I have read and what I have learned  from them. I'm feeling quite pensive, and also filled with hope. with knowledge and friendship, anything is achievable. well almost anything...  maybe not time travel...that we know of


No comments:

Post a Comment