Monday 13 August 2012

Bacon Makes it Better

So I think we can all agree, bacon makes things better.

I know, I know, bacon is super trendy right now. I'm not just jumping on the band wagon though, I swear! I have been baking with bacon for awhile now. Of course there are the obvious applications for pork in baked goods. A ham and cheese croissant here, a bacon cheddar scone there, but lets go outside of the box here. I have made maple bacon cakes, chocolate covered bacon, and my favourite ... bacon caramels. My latest idea struck me when I made a batch of sweet dough that was way too big. So i decided to do 3 types of sticky buns.One pan was regular, one pan was full of chai spices, and one was filled with bacon.

by far the bacon was the star!




Not long after I tried to replicate the deliciousness, with even more bacon in it. I went to my favourite butcher and procured some tasty bacon. And I made up a simple sweet dough, using beautiful freshly milled wheat flour from my favorite bread baker . I made a sweet glaze o line my pan and then I cooked off my bacon till it was almost crispy. After draining off the excess grease I finished the cooking of the bacon with some good quality maple syrup, glazing the salty bits of meat in sweetness. I tossed half of the bacon in with the pan glaze, and the other half i sprinkled over the brown sugar butter mixture on the sweet dough.


these sweet treats baked up beautiful. My arteries wept as i munched on them, but I couldn't stop. so much deliciousness!!

so the morale of the story is, just because you haven't tried something before, doesn't mean it wont be amazing. So try something new!
Also, bacon is rad.


2 comments:

  1. These sound absolutely delicious!!! I may have to commission you for some of these....mmmm...bacon..

    ReplyDelete